What’s Your Brand?
Discovering Your Brand
A brand is the sum total of all associations that are made with an organization or product. The brand comprises all the good AND the bad attributes called to mind when one thinks of the organization.
Every organization has existing brand associations it wants to emphasize, maintain and possibly lose. Brand development is the process that moves the organization from current to desired brand.
There are two key principles of brand development: differentiation and integration.
- Differentiation suggests the only sustainable market position is one in which we are offering something significantly different from and better than our competitors. These “differentiators” must evolve from current brand associations and be infused into the client’s experience in very real ways to be credible.
- Integration involves ensuring that all marketing communications and activities reinforce the same core differentiators.
Anyone who has been through a branding process knows the hardest part of branding isn’t coming up with a logo or tagline. It’s getting to your company’s DNA—its values, vision, passion and purpose. That’s your culture. When you get to that, you can create your brand.
Through research, we can identify an organization’s current brand associations and relevant differentiators—along with a critical understanding of client needs and perceptions.
An organization’s brand should drive marketing strategies and all business decisions, giving the organization something to live up to. For example, Apple invests millions of dollars annually to showcase its brand of innovation and high design. And Zappos’ entire culture is created to live its brand of happy employees, which leads to great customer service (and significant profits).
When your people are living your brand, their personal values are in sync with the company’s. They are happier, more productive and they are your best ambassadors. Involve them from the start, get clear on values, vision, passion and purpose, walk the talk, and enjoy your success!
If you are ready to get going on your company culture and brand, give us a call at 541.601.0114 or contact us today. Let Capiche help you uncover your own unique culture and brand that will propel your organization forward. And let’s have a great time doing so!
Need Other Marketing Support?
Since 1984, Chris has been providing public- and private-sector companies with sensible marketing advice. Capiche can tailor the following services specifically to your needs:
- Strategic marketing planning and budgeting
- Market research—including market and industry analysis
- Marketing program evaluation
- Client/customer perception surveys and competition analysis
- Public relations program development, budgeting and implementation
- Advertising planning and budgeting
- Website strategy
- Social media strategy and implementation
- Marketing training seminars and one-on-one training and mentoring
- Marketing staff candidate searches
- Proposal and presentation strategy, preparation, review and coaching